Friday, September 15, 2006

Leaving on a Jet Plane

Hello Everyone!

I'm officially starting a blog to document the craziness that is my life - I'm about to take things mobile. Yes, on November 1st I'm leaving to tour Thailand, Cambodia, and Laos... it's true! Let me fill you in:

Three major things happened:
  1. I found myself no longer employed as a wedding planner.
  2. I had no place to call home in less than two weeks.
  3. I realized that life could take me anywhere - and I chose well... I hope. :)

So after parting ways with the owner of the Round Barn Farm I sat down with my thoughts and considered the past year - having two of the most all-encompassing jobs I could ever imagine. Being employed the way I was, there were good things about it (surely), but also I didn't have much *me* left at the end of the day. For some reason I think I unknowingly sought out situations like this to fill up my time and test my limits. Well, consider them tested!

I have always wanted to travel, but have never been out of the country and Southeast Asia seemed like the boldest place to start - and by myself, to boot. I applied for my first passport on Monday and bought my ticket Wednesday... talk about a rush.

I'll be flying out of JFK on November 1st, connecting in Hong Kong very briefly, and landing in Bangkok Thailand in the middle of the afternoon. Nothing like a 16 hour flight to get your body good and confused! Bangkok is a sprawling city like L.A., so I'll surely have fun exploring it for a couple weeks before hopping over to Phnom Penh, Cambodia. As you can only be in the country for two weeks (and let's face it, I aim to be law abiding), I will spend 14 days there before grabbing my pack and heading to Laos. Laos is by far the most rural of the countries I'll be visiting, however, the hiking is supposed to be amazing and the culture in the little mountain towns is to be extremely welcoming. Once my feet are too sore for hiking I'll return to Thailand for some sun and fun - seeing the vast beaches and numerous islands along the southern coast. I'm looking forward to taking great photos of all the temples, too! Christmas will be on a beach somewhere and New Year's will be back in Bangkok before flying out on January 3rd. I'll get a day in Hong Kong (which I hear from travellers is just about enough!) and then return to the States on the 4th. TWO WHOLE MONTHS!

The cost of living there is phenomenally cheap for the US dollar... with the average salary being the equivalent of $150. Hotels from $2.50 - $20 for luxury, meals for less than $1, and a bottle of water for $0.07. Not bad, huh?

So where am I in travel plans? I've ordered books which I'm yet to recieve - some more touristy and some rougher, backpacker type information. I through in a book on safe travel for women, as well - to make me and Dad feel better! Passport is on the way and I'm about to make an appointment to get my shots that I'll need. I'm in the market for a pack to take with me and some iodine tabs for iffy water sources in a pinch.

I'll plan out the first week or so only and then take it from there... letting the days progress as they will and seeing what amazing sights need more of my attention and which are just a good blip on the radar.

I'm really excited and nervous - and about a million emotions inbetween!

So what's the deal with this blog? I'll be posting to this blog from internet cafes during my trip - if you want to know *where in the world is Janice* this is your best bet. Bookmark the website and check every few days - I'll get to it that often, I'm thinking. You'll be able to see pictures of all the things that I gawked at, ate, people I met, and amazing vistas. Additionally, guests can post reponses that can be read by all - or e-mail my new account: travellingjanice@hotmail.com. (E-mail will be checked less frequently) Until my departure I will be posting stages of planning processes while I'm here in Vermont. I'll be back and forth to New York, too, working whenever and however I can for extra cash. If you've got a job - let me know!

Thanks for reading and participating in my adventure!
Janice :)

2 Comments:

Blogger Ryan Freebern said...

Wow, that's really exciting! I'll be really jealous when you get to see Angkor Wat. Take lots of photos!

I look forward to reading about your adventures.

2:32 PM  
Blogger Steph said...

Hi Janice,

I'm Steph, Brian's friend in London. I think he told you I'm thinking about planning a similar trip. Thanks for letting me read. I've gone through the first 4 entries from the beginning and will read them all. Did that water filtration device work? Anyway, just wanted to say hi and thanks and what an awesome experience!

Steph

11:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home