Thursday, September 28, 2006

I'm the Bionic Woman

Here's the latest in the preparations:

I have received my books for planning my trip and staying out of trouble
... and I'm using every free moment to ravenously read through them. So far I've decided that I'm going to spend a significant amount of time in Chaing Mai, Thailand. There's a great surrounding area and many opportunities to do guided hikes in the mountains - and getting to stay in smaller, more rural areas. I'm looking forward to that. Also, there are cooking schools there that are really famous! I have plans to not only *eat* pad thai in Thailand, but also to learn to *cook* the way they do. The top school is "The Chiang Mai Cookery School". Check out the courses online at: www.thaicookeryschool.com

I've also been debating about visiting Phuket Island. It's really famous for it's beaches, but also becoming very touristy. Supposedly there's great shopping, nightlife, and hustle-and-bustle. I'm looking for a more rural trip overall, but I think that seeing it would be good and from there perhaps I can find a more quaintly small beachtown to enjoy. This area was one that was hit hardest by the tsunami and is now back to better than it was. I'm curious. The side-trip will be well worth it.

The highlight of this week is that I've been properly vaccinated and I'm safe to go. Yes... feel free to throw at me your worst case of Malaria, I dare you to attempt to give me Typhoid, Hepatitis A or B... what about Tetnus or Diptherea - I'll laugh at you! Mooohaaa ha ha! I'm immune!

Okay, enough of the silliness. I nearly choked when the pharmacist told me that my Malaria-prevention medication would cost $585 for the time I was away (because it's so long!) so I called my doctor. She ended up writing a precription for something that costs $40... *before insurance*. So, I've got the bargain basement vaccination. Yes, if nothing else this trip is on the cheap all around... but the doctor assures me that my risk of death (yes, death!) with Malaria is now nill.

Lastly, I've been picking up odd jobs and working at Hen of the Wood Restaurant to make extra money before I go and I had a disturbing realization tonight. I have earned more in two days than I would in 75 hours at my last job... and I'm sane. Mostly.

G'night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home