Friday, December 08, 2006

On The Road Again

Good Afternoon, All -

Where in the world is Waldo, er, Janice...? I'm in Chaing Mai, Thailand which is almost as far north as you can get. After a rather intense bus ride here that lasted about 13 hours, I have made it safely and found a new friend to experience parts of this city with. Her name is Stacy and she's from the UK. I think we bonded somewhere between Bangkok and having our knees fused with the seats in front of us. :)

Last night was difficult for me as it was time to say g'bye to Tony and Apres. Apres went back to Australia and left us at 5p, Tony headed back down to Koh Phangan at 5:30p, and I was last to sit alone and wait until just after 6p to catch my bus. I hate being the last one and having to wait by myself!

I was really getting down with being alone and it's kind of a void to go from four people to just me in a few days, but it's also a good thing. Tony and I may meet up for the holidays and I might bump into Jo before she flies back to Melbourne on Christmas Day (her birthday!). Don't feel sad for me though, because being alone again is a welcome change... and I will (and have already) met other people along the way.

While here in CM I will be taking a cooking course (I think for several days), doing some hiking, kyaking, elephant trekking, and exploring the local zoo and waterfalls. From here I don't know where I'll go next - perhaps Chaing Rai or maybe I'll fly into Laos next.

Dad isn't coming to S.E.A. to play, but that's okay, too. I'm thinking of extending my trip to include some time in Vietnam going solo - or maybe Malaysia. I'm here and it's not like I'll be able to belly up to the cost of a plane ticket again any time soon... plus, I've already done the hard part and disconnected from life at home - so now it's just pushing things back longer.

I'm missing the holiday buzz and all, but being back in Bangkok for a day before catching the bus was good for me. I saw Christmas trees and all the major roads are DRAPED in cascading lights... more than I've ever seen up and down the streets. The whole place twinkles and although it's just about as far as you can get from a white Christmas buildup, it's pretty good. The one thing I miss is baking Christmas cookies!

What else am I missing? My friends and family, of course... my favorite down blanket, the Gilmore Girls, brushing my teeth like a normal person (with tap water, not bottled), haircuts from Emmy, driving my car, and work - believe it or not.

Holiday love to you all - I can't believe it's about two weeks until Chrismas!
Janice

***2:44p, Friday, Internet Cafe, Chaing Mai, Thailand***

2 Comments:

Blogger sarah said...

I can't bring you the real Gilmore Girls, but I can send you a little bit of Gilmore transcript love. :)

Rory: Do something to make me hate you!
Lorelai: Um, go Hitler?

-----

Luke: [Luke is buying self-help books but doesn't want Andrew to see them] What are you doing?
Andrew: I have to ring them up.
Luke: I ' ll just tell you the prices. This one is... $24.99.
Andrew: That high?
Luke: They're your prices!
Andrew: Can I just see the book?
Luke: I'm reading you the book. It says right here.
[looks at the price again]
Luke: Oh, wait - that's the Canadian price. $14.99.
Andrew: Will you just let me scan the book?
Luke: When you scan the book, do you see the title?
Andrew: Yes.
Luke: Then no.
Andrew: Luke, come on! What do you got there, porn?
Luke: You sell porn?
Andrew: No!
Luke: You think I brought my own porn in here to buy?
Andrew: I don't know what you're doing. I just need to scan the books.
Luke: [hands Andrew some money] This should cover it.
Andrew: A hundred bucks? That's way too much!
Luke: Take it.
[he leaves, then comes back in]
Luke: Bag.
[Andrew hands him one, he leaves again]

4:23 PM  
Blogger Janice said...

Stephanie,

Thanks for the Thai Christmas Greeting! The trees here are a sight to see and they are everywhere. I'm looking for a Santa Claus hat to wear just for fun on the 25th. There's nothing like a little snowy wish on a sunny island! The tippy top of Thailand is great!!!

***

Sarah,

Just when I need a little confirmation that you are simply the best, I don't even have to look for a reason! Shawny is saving shows for me while I'm away and I'll have a true marathon while I get back - I'll forgo sleep if I have to...

Transcript love - I adore that!
Love,
Janice

1:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home