Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Delousing

Alright, I don't have lice, nor have I ever. I just thought I'd start today's post on a lighter note as parts of yesterday's were on the 'heavier' side.

I went to a Monkey School. Yes, MONKEY SCHOOL! Seriously. NO, Seriously!

I spent the earlier part of my day seeing some more sites (which I'll tell you about in a minute) but then I asked the man from the Guesthouse where else I should go in my last afternoon here in Kanchanaburi and he told me I should definitely go to the monkey school... so I did.

My trusty bike served me well as I rode along the back roads, over two bridges, and down through the most amazing swampland to the Monkey School. The owner's name was Loh-Mai (which means flower in Thai) and her family has been training monkeys for over a hundred years. This is what she had to tell me. Most breeds of monkeys still alive today originated in Southern Thailand (where her family is from - she was very proud of this!). There are seven main types and at her monkey school there are six represented. They mainly rescue monkeys that people bought as novel pets, but then lacked the skills to care for. After abuse or neglect they give them up and Loh-Mai takes them to teach them how to harvest coconuts. Do you know that almost half the coconuts harvested in the world are done by monkeys? (The other half is done by monkey-like men!) It takes about three months to train a smart monkey, although some breeds are "stupid, like some people". Ha!

I can't tell you what a neat feeling it was to be there. Loh-Mai and her daughter were showing me the monkeys and let me play with a baby one. You have to be very, very careful and take off all your jewelry, hair ties, sunglasses, etc. They will try to "steal" from your pockets if you have anything in them, but will listen when instructed not to. Li-Li, the baby monkey, sat on my head and ate a tiny, Lady-Finger banana... and then picked through my hair for fleas and lice. I had forgotten to take out my nose ring (I've had it for almost 8 years now and mostly forget it's there) and she tried to pick at it. I was laughing so hard!

When you present your arm to the monkeys they pick at your hair trying to find more fleas... smacking their lips the whole time and making "Myum, myum, myum" sounds. The owner marvelled at my lack of arm hair - thanks to being Korean. It didn't stop them from trying though... for upwords of 20 minutes.

Here's a picture of what Loh-Mai does after harvest to prepare the coconuts for sale... and also she and her daughter with the finished product.













The daughter thought it was great that she was going to be on the internet!















I went to the WWII Museum and the Japanese War Memorial yesterday in the morning. The buildings were so tall and intricate. I walked for hours and wrote in my journal... and bought myself a pendant from the 1930's made, and signed, by a Thai monk who was famous for his carvings. (I checked with three other vendors after purchase and they all said the same monk's name, so I don't *think* I was hustled!) From both Museum sites you could catch great views of the Bridge over the River Kwai. I, yes, have walked the Bridge from the Thai side to the Burma side. There were men working on the bridge with unbelievable deftness as they prepared for the big light and fireworks show that starts on the 25th of this month. They are so proud of their heritage and reverence for the past and each year they do a re-enactment of sorts where they simulate the bombing with lights and sound... and then finish with a huge fireworks display. This lasts every night for one week until the 5th of December. I will just miss it.

The area surrounding the bridge is so different from day to night. As with most places, there are two distinct personalities. During the day it's wall-to-wall people selling goods, food, showing magic tricks, and making different forms of art. I found a couple neat souveniers there, too. I had a hard time finding a place to stash my rented bike. I went back that night to have dinner on the floating restaurant there and by 8pm there was NOTHING there. It felt as though a void had been created.

Changing topics. I think most men would love it here. First, there are beautiful women everywhere. Second, the smell of habatchis every where makes you think of the Fourth of July at every moment. From my experience, even men who can't cook, claim to be brilliant chefs in regards to grilling. Plus, everything is on a stick... mostly meat. More meat than you could shake a stick at! (That was really bad...)

Also, I'm noticing that most people are thinking I'm Thai... they give me prices and try to bargain with me until they realize that I have no clue what they're saying. I grew up in such a caucasian dominated place that it is where I feel most at home. It's strange and wonderful to be in a place where I belong more for my Asian heritage. I can't explain it... it's something I've never felt and it has added to this beautiful experience.

I talked to Dad yesterday in the morning and we got on the topic that even though I have two months, it's not a lot of time. I'm only able to do the major touristy things here and not get into the off-the-beaten-path locales. He began to talk about how he would like to see Vietnam again - to see how it had changed and also stayed the same. I'm trying to get him to come join me in January to take two weeks to explore Vietnam together. I can change my ticket very easily and then just extend things for another couple weeks... returning home mid-January. I would love to see it with him and share this experience together. Help me convince him to let go a bit and come over to S.E.A.!

I'm off to pack up my life into my bag again... until Cambodia, I'm signing off.

***11:13am Wednesday 11.22.06, Internet Cafe, Kanchanaburi, Thailand

1 Comments:

Blogger sarah said...

MONKEYS OMG

That does it, if I wasn't totally jealous before...well, MONKEYS, JANICE. :)

I am so excited for you, every time you post. You're doing an amazing thing and I feel lucky to be able to read about it. Go have fun in Cambodia, and don't forget to tell us all about it. ;)

7:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home