Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Celebrate Good Times, C'MON!

I'm doing a little jib - maybe it's an Irish jig... but would that be wrong in Thailand. Reason? I'm a total idiot. My memory card and camera case weren't dropped or stolen, but misplaced by me. Yes, in this MONSTEROUS bag that I have my li'l ol' case got shoved into the bottom corner and there she was this morning. I'm glad, but also because I made it to the Pantip Market before leaving Bangkok and bought a new 1GB card. The best part? I made my first bargaining attempt and got the price I wanted. I paid $22 for the card and the girl wanted about $45. Yes, folks... I'm savvy. :)

So, on Monday night at 5pm, that was Tuesday morning at 5am for you, I was ready to get the bus to Koh Samui and a million things happened. The shuttle was over an hour late to pick me up, then the bus was over an hour past time because of traffic and I had the worst stomach issues - which as you can imagine is the last thing you want to think about when it comes to prolonged bus/ferry travel. Ick. I'm much better now, by the way... but I have seen toilets that I wouldn't wish on enemies. When I got on the "air-con" bus which was anything but, everyone was hot and stinky including me. We drove from8:45pm until 6am the following morning, making one stop at a road side stand for sandwiches and drinks. There's no regulation on drinking here so many of the people were drinking beer by the masses all enroute.

From there I waited for a 7:45am pickup for a shuttle to the ferry... and the ferry was from 8:30-11. It was a long trip here, but only cost me $23 dollars. A steal! The shuttle brought me to Lamai beach which is on the southeast side of Koh Sumai. I'm in a bungalow on the beach with just amazing views for 400b which is just so much elss than being in Bangkok. AND, I have amazing views.

Here is what it looks like from my bungalow porch:













Life could honestly be worse.

(The picture of the "ninja crepes" sign is from the main strip once I arrived in Koh Sumai... and I'm posting it 'cause I thought John and Shawn would get a big laugh.)



I got a bit sunburned... unfortunately, but cleaned up and went to dinner at New Hut Restaurant... this is my Shrimp Pad Thai, drinking water, and my journal time. Dinner cost me 55b total. Could you get dinner like this for $1.50?

Lastly, probably the coolest Hagen Daaz place ever. I dunno if you can tell, but there are mats all over to sit and lay on and a huge fish tank in the middle of the room... chimes in the breeze and the amazing jewelry for sale. Crazy.

I'll be here for a few days and then taking a ferry to Koh Phangan (which I cannot remember to pronounce right for the life of me... it's pan-yang).

9:56am Internet Cafe, Lamai Beach, Koh Sumai

3 Comments:

Blogger Janice said...

I love that when I finally make to another computer I have messages from people I love...! I'm putting up another one as we speak, type, read...

J

3:08 AM  
Blogger sarah said...

NINJA CREPES!

I love it. :)

I am glad you are safe and well and having such an amazing experience. I'm enjoying living vicariously through you!

9:50 AM  
Blogger Steph said...

What an amazing place to stay...Think you'll ever go back there? A few of my friends who have been in the past said they'd love to live in S.E.A for a while. Granted, most of them are Aussies and it's quite a ways from the States...

12:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home