Moving and Shaking
I had not intended on being able to get to the internet so often, but this first couple days have been so very full and I'm in a place where I have the opportunity to write so I will. What I have already realized is that I'm going to have a hard time not posting all my pictures to the blog. There's so much to show and tell! For some of it you'll just have to use your imagination and wait for a slide show when I get back.Things I've seen:
- People drink beverages out of bottles, yes, but half the time they drink they out of plastic bags... filled with ice and a straw stuck in. Kinda hard to set down while you're shopping, yes?
- When you order coffee (kah-fey) they mix sweetened condensed milk into it without asking - it's really good, but for someone who likes it black it's a little weird.
- The fresh food markets here on the street are amazing. You can get a bunch of little, baby bananas for 10b (which is roughly 27 cents). For less than that (go figure) you can have them grilled on skewers.
- The malls here are where you'll find regular grocery markets and everything is amazing there, too. Can you imagine, though, spending $5 on 3oz. of peanut butter? Also, I saw the same granola bars I brought and thought to myself - why did I schlep these all the way here? Well, in Thailand Nature Valley Granola Bars are... yes, $7.50 per box of six.
- The SkyTrain is pretty cool and really saves you from taking your life into your own hands when crossing the street. Unlike Boston, you don't have to be a patron to use the high walkways over the city.
- The oranges here have green skin and the most vivid, dark, orange colored juice.
- You can get a whole half a pineapple carved all swirly-like for 10b and it tastes better than any I've eaten at home. I wish I could send some via blog to each of you.
- Bangkok is a neat mixture of old and new... you see people carrying baskets of goodies on large sticks with big, flat, straw hats (yes, just like you've seen in movies and stuff...) but you see them crossing four lanes of traffic like that. *That's* Funny!
- Trivia: How much does a large icecream cone from Burger King cost here? 7b which is 20 cents.
- I figured I'd see Burger King and McDonald's here, but I've also seen a very popular Outback Steakhouse... I wonder if they boast that they have a location there. I can't say I enjoy it in the States so it's probably not going to happen here anyhow - even if I'm craving American food.
Yesterday I went to Prauntam Market and bought some t-shirts and a hair dryer (with the right kind of plug for here). You wouldn't believe how many levels of bargains this place had. For fashionista friends like Carolyn, you'd be in heaven. I think the most I spent on a really cool shirt was 190b. (By the way, I get 38b per US dollar.) I got a Polo Shirt for 100b. I really should have taken more advice from people and brought nothing - even the markets have things like toiletries and western necessities. Seriously, if you come, bring a bag and a change of clothes and buy the rest here. It's ridiculous.
I met up with Chissa last night and she took me to this amazing bar called Vertigo. Wait, let me start again. We met by the sky train and she showed me how to use it... so we took that to get close to the then surprise destination. From there we took a tuk-tuk to the hotel. Let me tell you... not only did our driver look like he was 12 (Chissa said probably 14), but he also drove like he was trying to kill us. It was great fun, but also nerve wracking. I'm glad that I did it with a native for the first time, else I'd be scarred today. So anyhow - Vertigo - It's on the top floor of a hotel (the 57th floor!) and overlooks the entire city. Wait, did I say top floor... I meant roof! It was all open air and completely fabulous. The breeze blowing and lots of candles and magenta colored orchids that are everywhere. The tables were dressed in raw silk and we sat at the bar and drank the greatest mojitos. (Mine was orange...)I can't explain how great it was and when you try to take a picture of that it just doesn't come out. Chissa told me that her boyfriend, Sergio, took her to dinner there for their Anniversary. It's really expensive by Thai standards, but really it's only slightly more than Hen.
We were set to meet up with her friends at a Western Bar (they served BBQ and it smelled like feet - Seriously!) in an hour or so, but there were other places on the way that I was shown. One of the most amazing markets is in the red light district - that is apparently very famous, although not on my list of *must sees*. :) We were offered all sorts of creative things and they were sometimes very pushy. Ignoring them helped and they really didn't seem to think that we would take them up on any of it. It was really sad.
Her friends were all great fun - mostly Australian, believe it or not. They are fellow teachers with her at the Christian school in Bangkok. Almost all of them have been here for at least a year - some up to seven years! The only thing you need to teach here is a bachelor's degree in anything and you can teach. Teachers get 50,000-60,000b per month and then most get a housing stipend, too, of about 5,000-7,000b. Not too bad especially since Chissa still lives with her parents. Anyhow. There were some English people and an Irishman, too. I spent a lot of the night talking to Laurie (Aussie who has been here for 3 years), Emily (Aussie who has been here for only 6mo.), and Chris (Aussie who has been here for 5 years, fantastically handsome - extremely charming accent and personality...!). We played this weird game at the bar and I drank my first Thai beer. Not half bad. They all raved, however, about beer in Lao saying that it was by far the best they've had in all their international travels. I'll report back!
So this morning I got up early and set out to find an International Sim Card and an adapter for the charger I have... you can officially call me if you have nothing better to do with your money. Seriously... through www.onesuite.com you can get through for 5-10cents a minute depending on where in Thailand I am? Not that I expect anyone to call, but here's the number for a laugh:
+66 8 52 461 305
I'm getting so comfortable in the city already and really enjoyed the morning hours by myself just wandering around. I walked to the National Monument (I have no idea what it's for, but maybe Stephanie would enjoy looking it up and posting a comment about it...) and all around the neighboring streets. Today I'm more confident that I won't get lost and if I do I can take a terrifying tuk-tuk ride back to the hotel.I'm getting together with Chissa and friends again later tonight to see an Australian movie and then have dinner at Cabbages & Condoms. Yes, that's what it's called. (Eric, you should be glad to hear I'm going to make it there!) I guess the proceeds to go AIDS prevention and so instead of fortune cookies or mints after the meal they give everyone a condom. I think that's just too funny, but apparently it's famous... all the guide books rave about the great, traditional Thai food there.
Tomorrow is the festival of the candles that I was telling you all about when I first started the blog. I have been invited to dinner with a larger group of Chris' friends (Chissa has a family thing) and then they've chartered a private boat to motor around the river in. People light candles on these lotus leaf looking holders and float them out into the river as good wishes and hopes for others. The river is aglow all night and then they set off fireworks that we'll be able to see from the boat. I can't wait!
Here are some pictures - some things are hard to get images of because people get irritated with the tourist chick flashing away. I've found a smile here goes a long way and asking first, not just assuming. Take a look!
A tuk-tuk driver while he's not terrifying customers.
My friend with the best OJ in town. He says "hi".

A man bringing food to market: peanuts, cooked yams, boiled ginger, and fresh edamame.
That's all for now, folks. I'm so happy and enjoying it here, but I think I've had my fill of the commercial mecca. On Monday or Tuesday I'm going to take a flight to Ko Samui in Southern Thailand and start working my way up the coastal towns and the li'l islands. That seems more my speed for this venture. Why anyone would come someplace crazy like Thailand just to shop, go partying, or just see the city is just plain beyond me.
Love to all at home :)
Janice
1:44pm Saturday, Internet Cafe in Bangkok

1 Comments:
JP,
Vertigo was completely aweing - I really wish that the picture could convey how cool it was. Granted, two drinks cost 800b, but it was well worth it to sit, enjoy the view, and the crazy good and spicy cashews they serve with drinks!
J
Post a Comment
<< Home