Shaken, But Not Stirred
Hi Everyone!
Well, this morning I'm safely in Bangkok - actually it's Friday morning here, but Thursday night for everyone else I know. Time changes and International Date Lines later...
Surprisingly the 16 hour flight from JFK to Hong Kong International just breezed by. Who knew that *I* could sit still for that long without getting up! I sat next to a nice gentleman returning home from a business trip. Once we landed he called his wife and spoke to his children before bed... some things are the same no matter where you are, right? Here's an artsy shot of that the airport looked like at, oh, 11pm.
The bad news is that the airport that I booked and paid for in Bangkok is apparently at the OLD airport and not at the one I arrived into. Needless to say it was a long ways away and no one seemed to really have much to tell me. They referred me to the local hotel by the airport who wanted... choke... 5,800 baht per night. That's about $200 dollars. Mind you it was very very nice, but not really that budget friendly. I ended up taking a taxi to Siam Square which is where I am now at the Wendy Guesthouse. It's more than other places, but let me show you where I stayed last night and you'll all want to throw up. I didn't sleep a wink.
All I wanted after being hot, sweaty, smelly (horrid, really) was a nice, shower. What I got was not really hot (actually a good thing!) and covered in black mildew. This was the most glamorous bathroom ever. The little red switch above the sprayer had to be turned on each time you want to flush the toilet, use the shower, or turn on the sink. The Wendy House is more, but SO MUCH MORE!
I'm meeting up with Chissa (the girl I met at Hen) later tonight when she gets out of work. I'll be taking the Bangkok Skytrain! Until then I'm going to go shopping for some t-shirts and get settled in. The city is *much much much* less creepy by light of day.
Peace!
Well, this morning I'm safely in Bangkok - actually it's Friday morning here, but Thursday night for everyone else I know. Time changes and International Date Lines later...
Surprisingly the 16 hour flight from JFK to Hong Kong International just breezed by. Who knew that *I* could sit still for that long without getting up! I sat next to a nice gentleman returning home from a business trip. Once we landed he called his wife and spoke to his children before bed... some things are the same no matter where you are, right? Here's an artsy shot of that the airport looked like at, oh, 11pm.
The bad news is that the airport that I booked and paid for in Bangkok is apparently at the OLD airport and not at the one I arrived into. Needless to say it was a long ways away and no one seemed to really have much to tell me. They referred me to the local hotel by the airport who wanted... choke... 5,800 baht per night. That's about $200 dollars. Mind you it was very very nice, but not really that budget friendly. I ended up taking a taxi to Siam Square which is where I am now at the Wendy Guesthouse. It's more than other places, but let me show you where I stayed last night and you'll all want to throw up. I didn't sleep a wink.All I wanted after being hot, sweaty, smelly (horrid, really) was a nice, shower. What I got was not really hot (actually a good thing!) and covered in black mildew. This was the most glamorous bathroom ever. The little red switch above the sprayer had to be turned on each time you want to flush the toilet, use the shower, or turn on the sink. The Wendy House is more, but SO MUCH MORE!
I'm meeting up with Chissa (the girl I met at Hen) later tonight when she gets out of work. I'll be taking the Bangkok Skytrain! Until then I'm going to go shopping for some t-shirts and get settled in. The city is *much much much* less creepy by light of day.
Peace!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home