Conquering the World (of Motorbikes!)
I HAD THE MOST FANTASTIC DAY YESTERDAY!
As with most good things in life, I stumbled upon something wonderful yesterday and mainly because of a misunderstanding of sorts. I was asking the girl running the bungalow where I was staying about renting a motorbike and before I knew it, I was renting one. The one thing that I thought I would really miss on this trip is my car... for the sense of freedom it gives me to just hop in and take a ride, oh, anywhere really. Yesterday I rolled in style in a motor scooter, folks. This was my trusty ride.

Let me tell you that I've never, never driven a beast like this before in my life and it was so easy and fun. I even rocked out the super un-cool blue crash helmet just for Dad. I have such a sunburn despite my sunscreen, but it's not feeling bad today and I don't think it will peel. In fact, I'm still lobstering as we speak. So, in a lazy afternoon I drove around the whole island and saw some really cool things. Now before you get jealous, take a look at this beast and realize that it's really dusty and dirty here. I ended up with a slick layer of crud all over me and showered about three times once I got back to the Bungalow, but it was well, well, well worth it. I would have given just about anything to share today with my Dad (you would have just LOVED it, Dad!)
I went to a waterfall and although I won't show you a picture of that, because heck, you've all seen those before, I will show you the memorial that was just by the magnificence. It was covered in flowers, cloths and scarves, and beads... there were even bits of children's clothing. The water was rushing and needless to say, after a drive up and a short hike to the waterfall, it was anything but rural. There werem merchants everywhere and people making food and carving sculpture from soap. It was cool just the same.
From there I drove to see the Big Buddah on the island and I had to post a picture of that for Gemery. It was set on top of a large hill with amazing views of the ocean all around (it was on a little penninsula). There were bells that surrounded the Buddah and to make good wishes, guests were to ring the bells with big sticks all the way around... to call attention to Buddah. There was tour guide there who was talking about paying tribute and said that it was done in three ways. First, you bring and light incense, then you light a candle (which symbolizes Buddah's enlightenment, and then you kneel and pray. Also, did you know that the images we associate with Buddah are not actually Buddah? Nope,
the fat, round guy that everyone at home thinks of as him is actually a monk. How do you know when it's Buddah? There will be a flame coming out of the top of his head. This is how they put an image to the concept of a halo. Cool, huh? Guess what else? I met some monks! They actually let me take their picture... and wanted to know where I was from. The US wasn't a good enough answer, but when I said "Vermont" they replied"Burr-mon" like they were cold Jamaicans. HA! Here are my new friends.
When I got back to the Bungalow I made some new friends. These lovely people are Jodie and Glenn and they're from England. After a few funny misunderstandings (Jodie: "Have you had the monkey nuts here? They're AMAZING!" - she meant peanuts and it took us a half hour to figure that out!) we had such a good time chatting. We ended up having dinner out together in town and they are both so very kind and interesting. They are taking 10 months to tour the world and have bought a "Round the World" ticket... and are just going! They've just come from Cambodia, Laos, and Vietnam and had so many ideas and insights to share. Glenn's cousin owns a bar here in town so we went to meet him after dinner. I took the picture
while we were playing pool, or rather, Glenn was being slowed down by the women-as-opponent handicap. It was so much fun! We went to this open air market together today and it was such a different experience filled with different smells and sights - most of which made Jodie (as a vegetarian) just about sick. :) Glenn, on the other hand, will try just about anything including crickets in Cambodia. It was really quite funny when we were out to dinner - Jodie didn't know what something was and didn't want to try it, so she speared it with a chopstick and stuck it in Glenn's mouth. He silently tasted, sang it's praises and then she proceeded with her dinner. Travel companion/guinea pig. I need a boyfriend who will try scary things, too! Next trip.I have booked a speed boat to Koh Phanang tomorrow at noon and I'll get to update soon from there. What no one has told me is that apparently there are different rainy seasons between Northern Thailand and Southern Thailand. This is the South's rain season. I saw the most terrific thunderstorm I've ever seen in my life two night's ago and almost jumped out of my skin. I stood on the deck in my pyjamas and watched (getting all wet) because it was such a sight, but it scared the bejeezus out of me. I like thunderstorms, but less so in a hut by the ocean - only a short distance from where the Tsunami hit. Not high on the "faves" list.
Side note - off topic... had the most amazing little dumplings made from coconut milk, eggs, and corn this morning. I think part of why they were so delicious was the face of the man making them when I bit into the first tiny nugget.
Other thoughts:
- Everyone here still smokes, but the packs of cigs are cheap and have nasty pictures of blackened lungs, rotted teeth, and a withering old lady on them... apparently this does little to curb the need for niccotine.
- People here don't pick up their feet- they just shuffle along.
- At many shops you are expected to take off your shoes before entering. After you get over the idea that someone coming out *may* fancy your shoes over theirs, I rather like this tradition... it's very respectful.
- The government here is present,but not very in control of things like health concerns and sanitation, wreckless driving, and cutting down on female escorts (which are everywhere!)
- Caucasian men are a hot commodity here.
- I never realized how often I touched my diamond earrings - and I sorely miss them.
Randomly - American music is really big here, but not really to listen to. Their are trucks that drive around every afternoon advertising Thai Boxing - which apparently is huge here. They play either a menage of U2, or R.E.M.s "It's The End Of The World". I have no desire to go see and at 800b for a show(just about $22), I really have no desire.
I just finished a fabulous book by Bill Bryson called, "I'm a Stranger Here Myself" and it was really quite good. There's a used book store here that buys books in English for resale, so I traded mine in for the next, but this passage really stuck with me and I wanted to share it on my blog.
"Take a moment from time to time to remember that you are alive. I know this sounds a trifle obvious, but it is amazing how little we take to remark upon this singular and gratifying fact. By the most astounding stroke of luck an infinitesimal portion of all the matter in the universe came together to create you and for the tiniest moment in the great span of eternity you have the incomparable priviledge to exist. For endless eons there was no you. Before you know it, you will cease to be again. And in between you have this wonderful opportunity to see and feel and think and do. Whatever else you do with your life, nothing will remotely compare with the incredible accomplishment of having managed to get yourself born. Congratulations. Well done. You really are special."
With that I bid you adieu for now - I hope all is well where you are and I'm having an amazing experience and missing home all at the same time.
Love, Janice
12:52pm on Friday 10.10.06, Internet Cafe, Lamai Beach, Koh Samui Island, Thailand
PS. I've sent some postcards - please let me know when/if you get one so I will know how long snail mail takes from here! Thanks!

4 Comments:
Make sure to get some pictures of yourself while you're there - we'd all love to see the sunburn and the goofy motorbike helmet.
Shawn is absolutely right. I want my goofy Janice photos! BRING 'EM ON!
Hi All,
Yeah - the beauty of me doing this trip solo is that there are very few photo ops that feature ME! I will show you some, however, when I get back. I haven't worn makeup for days or done my hair and it's so delightful!
<3 Janice
It is too bad that you have ceased to amaze Lori. Your adventures still amaze me!
Post a Comment
<< Home